Golden Residence Permit
The Golden Residence Permit Programme was implemented by the Portuguese Government to attract foreign investment to the country. It allows people from outside the European Union and European Economic area to obtain residency through real estate investment.
The investment has to be of at least 500 thousand euros or 350 thousand in some special cases. The total investment may be done by buying more than one property and it may be done by a company where the applicant is a member.
The Golden Visa Permit allows, among other things, the applicant to:
- Enter Portugal without a visa.
- Live and work in Portugal
- Travel within the Schengen area
- Benefit from Family regrouping
- Request permanent authorisation of residence
- Request Portuguese nationality
The investment has to have a duration of at least five years.